Monday, August 20, 2012

Review - Triple Cherry


A panel of three experts generously agreed to taste test and review the Triple Cherry pie.  You can watch their reaction on the video, or read the summary at the bottom.  Still don't know where I messed up?  Scroll down.


Cole is my in-house expert.  He has been exposed to a lot of pie because he loves it.  He is also my husband, so he does a lot of taste-tests.  Cole specifically mentioned the consistency and texture of the pie (remember he doesn't like runny filling).  He prefers a more tart cherry pie, but enjoyed the flavor of the Triple Cherry as well.  Cole glosses over the crust - only commenting that it could have been flakier.



Paige says she is a pie expert because she has extensive baking experience.  While she doesn't make a lot of pies, she does enjoy cooking.  Paige felt the crust was a little tough.  She did like the sweetness of the pie and the texture - firm, not runny.



Randall feels he is a pie expert because he has sampled a lot of homemade pies in small diners.  He liked the flavor of the filling and its consistency.  Randall also expressed dissatisfaction with the crust; he described it as "hard" and wished it hadn't tasted of shortening.

Now do you know where I made my mistake?  The crust tasted like shortening...because that was all that was in it.  My recipe called for both shortening and butter.  I forgot the butter.  That resulted in the taste that Randall picked out and made the crust tough, because I had to add a extra water to make up for the loss of the fat.

I wondered about that at the while I was making it - but it didn't occur to me that I had forgotten something until I was posting the pictures of making the dough.  If you go back to the first shot of the ingredients, you'll notice there is no butter on the counter.  Let's chalk this one up to nerves from being on camera and hope it goes better from here on out.  As a take away, please keep in mind that even though I forgot a key ingredient, I still didn't have to throw away any pie.  It was all eaten.

That's the power of pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment